Award Title: Understanding Special Needs 5N1709 (NQF Level 5 Minor Award)
Programme Co-ordinator: Laura Seoighe
Contact Details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please join our mailing list, where you will be contacted and informed when any of the evening classes in Ormonde College of Further Education and Kilkenny City Vocational School are open to applications.
The purpose of this award is to equip learners with the
knowledge, skills and competence required to work effectively,
under direction in a special needs setting. This award will also
give learners an understanding of the context of special needs,
the associated issues and approaches.
- Understand the concept of need in relation to disability
- Identify relevant international policy relating to individuals with special needs
- Identify a range of special needs conditions and impairments
- Outline a range of causes, diagnosis and prognosis of the different conditions and impairments
- Interpret current legislation relating to special needs provision and identify the main points of the legislation
- Interpret the current national policies relating to special needs provision and identify the main policy implications
- Compile a list of local and national resources, services and facilities available to individuals with special needs
- Devise strategies for the promotion of good practice within a special needs setting
- Examine the history of special needs service provision in Ireland to date
- Understand the emotional and practical implications of having a family member with special needs
- Explain the common terms and language used in the area of disability with due regard to contemporary best practice in the use of language in this field
- Describe the roles of support staff including childcare workers and special needs assistants in the context of special needs
- Describe the roles of the interdisciplinary team members and professionals in the context of individuals with special needs
- Describe the different learning and therapy programmes provided by professionals in the area of special needs
- Outline the key elements of good practices for people working with individuals with special needs in various settings e.g. advocacy, confidentiality, equality, independence etc.
- Assignment 60%
- Learner Record 40%
Class details, fees and funding:
Classes will take place in Ormonde College Wednesday evenings 7-9:30pm for 12 weeks starting Janurary 2024. The tutition cost for these classes for the year is €175 +€20 certification fee.
If you are presently in full or part time employment , you may be eligible for funding through SOLAS Skills to Advance Initiative https://www.solas.ie/programmes/skills-to-advance
If you are presently unemployed, you may be eligible for funding through the Training Support Grant (TSG), offered by the Department of Social Protection. Please contact your local INTREO office. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/home.aspx