with Veterinary Skills
Award Title: QQI Level 5 Certificate in Animal Care
Programme Co-ordinator: Ana O’Donnell
Award Code: 5M2768
Programme Description: This is a one-year, full-time programme that prepares students to work in a range of settings that provide direct care to animals or progress to further and higher education.
- Animal Welfare (5N0753)
- Animal Anatomy & Physiology (5N0750)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Animal Behaviour (5N0751)
- Animal Grooming (5N0752)
- Small Animal Housing and Husbandry (5N1898)
- Biology (5N2746)
- Veterinary Assisting Skills (5N1363)
- Leaving Certificate/Leaving Certificate Applied or equivalent
- Successful completion of an interview
- Mature applicants will be assessed on their relevant work experience.
- Direct entry to the industry, working with animals in a variety of settings including veterinary clinics, boarding kennels, animal welfare organisations, canine training, dog grooming and pet shops
- Opportunities to progress to further and higher education in various fields including applied biology, general science, wildlife biology and veterinary nursing.
There are a number of optional additional courses offered throughout training as well as presentations by guest speakers and educational trips to zoos, animal and bird sanctuaries and whale watching.